David Savela Obituary, Sebeka MN, David Savela Has Died In A Fatal Shootout

David Savela Obituary, Death – A police officer and two brothers who were shot and died on a road near Sebeka engaged in a gunfight that started when one of the suspects fired on the officer and a sheriff’s deputy, according to a report from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

According to the authorities, the shooting that took place during a traffic stop in North Germany Township on Saturday night claimed the lives of brothers David Savela, 42, and Michael Savela, 36, both of Sebeka. An effort by Wadena County Sheriff’s Deputy Troy Mayer to stop David Savela for speeding led to a brief pursuit that stopped when Savela tried to turn his car around and became stuck in the snow, according to the authorities.

According to the complaint, David Savela rejected orders to identify himself and leave. Soon later, Shannon Savela showed up on the scene. David Savela was taken from the car after Mayer attempted to take him down with his Taser but was unsuccessful. They then engaged in combat on the ground adjacent to the driver’s side. At that time, according to the reports, Sebeka Police Officer Jason Wurm came, requested Shannon Savela to leave, and attempted to assist Mayer in apprehending David Savela.

At that point, Shannon Savela positioned herself on the squad car’s passenger side and started firing, hitting Wurm and Mayer. When David Savela stood up and pointed his gun at the officers, Wurm shot him. Mayer and Worm then fled to the passenger side of David Savela’s car. Shannon Savela pointed his revolver at the officer, at which point Wurm proceeded toward Mayer’s squad car and shot Savela, according to the BCA. On the spot, David Savela passed away. After being transferred to a hospital, Shannon Savela passed away.

Mayer, a sheriff’s office veteran of 11 years, received a non-life-threatening gunshot wound and was treated there before being released. Worm, a Sebeka police officer for ten years, was hit by bullets while wearing a bulletproof vest, yet he remained unharmed. Both guys have been given the usual administrative leave of absence. The report said that a civilian passenger traveling with the deputy never got out of the squad car throughout the event and sustained no injuries.